Thursday, March 25, 2010

Being a Dad changes you

Becoming a Dad was one of the greatest events in my life. I wouldn't trade it for anything. No matter how ornery my son gets, no matter how angry he makes me sometimes, no matter what or how much of my stuff he destroys in a moment of little boy "opps" or "its a project!", no matter anything. He's the best thing ever.

But....

I've noticed that becoming a Dad has changed me. I guess it was inevitable but I didn't think it would be this noticeable to myself. Every Dad's view of the world changes when suddenly they have a son or daughter to begin looking after and protecting. Things in movies and TV that used to not bother me, bug the shit out of me now.

I'm not talking about a TV show that says FUCK! alot. I don't give a shit about that. My son knows what "adult words" are and he knows not to use them. I'm sure he is secretly excited and looking forward to the day when he grows up and can use them around me without getting in trouble. Just as I'm sure he uses select versions of them when its just him and his buddies, just like we all did when we were young. Any parent that doesn't think their child curses when its just their friends around is deluding themselves. Kids cuss, it's just part of growing up. Learning when and where its appropriate is also a part of growing up. No, shows that curse and use crude humor don't bother me. I actually prefer shows that have people acting like real live instead of shows that try to sugar coat family life like nobody ever curses. Its not really shows that bug me. Its some of the content and topics.

I find myself uneasy when the show deals with the death or crime against children or deals with the loss of a child (even if the death is part of the past storyline).

I love Stargate SG-1. If you've seen my arm you'd know just how much I love Stargate. I think my first indication of "change" came when I was re-watching Episode 106 - Cold Lazarus. There is a flashback scene where O'Neil remembers the accidental death of his son. (Charlie found Jack's gun and was playing with it with awful results.)

  • We see Jack run toward Sara who is sitting on the steps to the house. He embraces and kisses her.

  • JACK: How was your day?
  • SARA: Fine...oh, look what came home from school today.
  • *She reaches down and grabs Charlie's school pictures
  • JACK: Ah...is Charlie about ready?
  • SARA: Yeah, he was running around her a few minutes ago...
  • *A loud Bang is heard...the gunshot. Jack and Sara turn to look at the bedroom window.
  • SARA (yells): Charlie!
That gunshot made my blood run ice cold. It still does today.

That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Having a child changes your perspective. What once didn't bother you suddenly hits home.

I have to say I didn't see that coming. Still wouldn't trade it for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment