Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The annual trip to Savannah

The annual family trip to Savannah, GA was today. It was the typical chaotic cluster fuck that always happens when you get 3 kids (5,8,10) and 6 adults together and attempt to maintain order and calmness while wandering the streets of Savannah. It just can't be done without someone getting pissed off for not getting to go where they want, when they want. Try it sometime. I dare you. It can't be done. No matter what you do, everyone will want to go where they want and do their stop first.

Lessons learned this year, besides to not go next year, are:
  1. When you arrive at your destination at 11:30 with 3 kids EAT LUNCH FIRST! Waiting until 2:15 to get on a waiting list somewhere is too damn late. The kids are already spent and beyond cranky having burned up all their energy reserves hours ago.
  2. Unless you ALL want to go to the same store/street, DON'T try to stay together. It just won't work. I spent a lot of time waiting outside stores I had no interest in and later being dragged past stores that I knew Jess wanted to go into. Splitting up into smaller more manageable groups/couples is just smarter and will work out better in the long run for everyones sanity sake.
  3. DON'T change the return time plans out of the blue in the middle of the day. It just fucks up the mood and pace of the rest of the day.
  4. Take more than one car. We did do this but I wanted to mention it as a requirement. Had we not taken more than one car then splitting up would not have been possible and I'm pretty sure I'd have gone psycho stabby at some point.
Don't get me wrong. I like Savannah. I don't mind going to Savannah. I just wish I had more time to enjoy the trip and see all the sights. There is a ton of history all over the town and I never have the time to appreciate it. I think I'll schedule a weekend get-away sometime in the Spring and make the time to enjoy the sights.

1 comment:

  1. "psycho stabby" LOL!
    Yep, I have experienced this. I have pretty much given up being able to do whatever I want to do. Well, maybe in 16 years I will be able to do something I want to do!

    Hey, also want to recommend the Oatland Island Oceanographic Institute. Consider it a mini Georgia Aquarium but without the high fees. I think it's just a couple dollars to get in, if that. Maybe it's just donations - I don't remember - but it is a more hands-on nature experience for the kids, and can be combined into a trip to Fort Pulaski and Tybee Beach.

    ReplyDelete